Regardless of the cause, there are often more questions than answers immediately following a crash. Here’s a list of frequently asked car accident questions  that can help you sort through the confusion.


When should I contact a lawyer after an accident?

If you are seriously injured in a car crash, we recommend that you contact an attorney.

How do I know who’s at fault in a crash? 

The causes of car crashes vary from distracted or intoxicated drivers to defective car manufacturing and even negligent highway construction. This is why we believe it’s important to consult with a car accident attorney. Consultations with JJLM are free.

What types of car crashes does Johnson Johnson Lucas and Middleton handle?

Our attorneys represent people who have been involved in all types of car and truck crashes.

Some examples of cases we’ve litigated include:

  • $2.2 million settlement on behalf of the family of a young girl hit by a negligent driver
  • $1.75 million settlement for mechanic killed by semi truck
  • $2 million settlement for fatal hit and run

Can an attorney help me file my insurance claim?

Yes. If you are injured and are unsure of how to file a claim, or need assistance in negotiating with your insurance company, we can help. Not every claim requires attorney assistance, however we are happy to consult with you to determine whether you need additional assistance.

What types of reimbursements could I receive following an accident?

You may be entitled to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, personal property damage, pain and suffering, disability, emotional injuries, future medical care or treatment, as well as damage to your vehicle.

I was just involved in an accident. What do I do now?

Gather information: Do not leave the scene of the accident until you have exchanged information with the other driver, including name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle, license plate number, name of insurance company and policy number, and names of others in the vehicles. If you know that someone has notified the police, stay until the police arrive.

Assist the injured if you are able: If anyone is seriously injured, call 911. Do not move the injured unless necessary. Keep the injured person warm and stay with them until help arrives.

Warn passing traffic: If possible, have someone stationed to warn approaching vehicles. Protect the injured from oncoming traffic. Place flares or other signals on the highway to warn oncoming cars that there has been an accident.

Get the name, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses: Sometimes one of the witnesses or a bystander can help get this information.

Take pictures of damage to all vehicles and the license plate numbers. Also take pictures of the scene of the collision, including rescue vehicles and ambulances.

If you are injured, take pictures of your injuries, if you are able. Photos can be useful in documenting the nature and severity of your injuries at a later date.

Additional obligations: If the accident results in property damage in excess of $2,500, you must file an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report with DMV within 72 hours even if your vehicle was the only one in the crash.

If an insurance company representative calls you about the crash, remember they are recording your statement. If you are seriously injured, we recommend that you seek legal counsel before discussing the crash or your injuries with the other driver’s insurance company.

If your personal property such as clothing, electronic equipment, or eyeglasses, was damaged in the crash, take pictures of the damaged property so that you can be reimbursed for the loss.

If you seek medical care, remember to tell the hospital or medical provider that you were in a car crash and give them your car insurance information. In Oregon, your car insurance will be primarily responsible for paying your medical bills up to the limits of your policy.